Thursday, January 28, 2010

Chicken Enchilada Casserole

When I'm pregnant I often create or twist dishes that I normally make into something a bit new and this is just such an occasion.

1 Can Enchilada Sauce
1 Can Cream of Chicken Soup
*Noodles
1 Cup Cheese (I used both mozarella and cheddar)
1 Chicken Breast

*I don't know how much I used because I had a partially opened bag of shells that I just dumped some into the pot. If you're not good at guessing I can make up a measurement or you can make way too much and have leftovers! Also, if you don't have shells then use what you do have. This is a casserole, so spiral rotini noodles, elbow macaroni, or any fun shaped pasta would do the trick.

Cook noodles and then drain and rinse. While noodles are cooking, cook chicken, then cube or shred. In a bowl combine Enchilada Sauce and Soup, set aside. Grease 2 Qt baking dish lightly and pour a little sauce in the bottom of dish, add a layer of chicken, then your noodles. Add a layer of mozzarella cheese (about 1/2 cup), then pour in the rest of the sauce. Mix thoroughly. (If you want to do this in a bowl before you put it into the pan it might make less of a mess :) )

Bake @ 375 F for about 20 min or until edges start to bubble. Then top with approximately 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and put back in the oven for another 5 min or until cheese is melted. And enjoy!

The best part about this recipe is that you can take liberties. I didn't use all of my chicken breast in it, but I don't like that much meat. If you want more or less, just take some out or add some. The same thing goes with cheese. And if you're feeling very adventurous, try adding a little rice/corn to make this dish a little healthier!

No comments:

Post a Comment