Sunday, May 22, 2011

Great Grandma (Ga Ga)'s Beef Stew

There are some recipes that I just have to make GaGa's way, and stew is one of them. Time consuming but sooo worth it!  I have typed it up just like she gave it to me.

48 oz V-8 juice
Stew meat
Carrots - about 1 per person - cut in chunks
Celery - 1/2 piece per person - cut in chunks
10 pearl onions - halved
Potatoes - 1/2 per person - cut in chunks
Flour, salt, and pepper in a brown paper sack

Shake the meat in the sack to coat it
Brown in the oil
Add 1/2 of the V-8, cover and simmer while you prep the veggies.
Add the veggies and the last of the V-8 to the meat.
*Cover and simmer 2 hours on low heat so meat is melt in your mouth tender.  Check and stir frequently.

*I am sure you can do this in the crock pot, I just never have because I love smelling it as it simmers, but give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment