Sunday, May 22, 2011

Great Grandma (GaGa)'s Spaghetti Sauce

This recipe make a HUGE pot of sauce that I divide up and freeze so I always have it on hand.  It is really easy to cut in half but it will still make a LOT of sauce.  GaGa cooks by taste.  She has a PERFECT memory and rarely writes anything down.  I don't work like that so I have typed it up word for word as she gave it to me and then in ()'s added my interpretation of it, or what works for us.

4 LARGE (28 oz) cans tomato sauce
1 small (6 oz) can tomato paste
2 lbs. boneless pork spare ribs (you can use pork chops)
1 LARGE onion diced
a drizzle (2 Tbls.) of olive oil
some (ground) cloves, cinnamon, minced garlic, garlic salt, salt and lots of all spice, just add it till it tastes right. (I do about 1/4 tsp of everything but 1/2 tsp of all spice).
several (3-4) bay leaves - whoever scooped up the bayleaves on thier plate had dish duty.

Boil the pork for a while - about 2 hours or so - until it is nice and tender.  You want it to practically fall apart. (I put mine in a crockpot about half full of water, on high for about 6-8 hours the night before I want it.)

While the pork is boiling put everything else together, including a paste can full of water, in a large pot and simmer it while the meat cooks. Then pull apart the meat into chuncks and add it to the sauce. (The day I want it, I pull the meat apart and add it to the crock pot with everything else and put it on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4)*

*Another way I have done it is to cook the meat in the crock pot all day and then an hour before I want to eat I put everything together and simmer the sauce on low.

I hope you enjoy this one.  It is a family favorite and full of wonderful childhood memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment